The importance and the advantages of a certificate of origin for European freight forwarding
This is a basic document which certifies the origin of the goods which are about to be exported. The forwarding tariffs are in accordance with the origin of the goods, as well as with other factors. A number of international preferences in relation to the tariffs and to the commercial requirements can be obtained with the help of the certificates of origin of the goods being forwarded by the forwarders throughout Europe.
Issuing the certificates of origin of goods in the European Union
These certificates are issued by the relevant organizations in each European country. Three copies are issued alongside the original of the certificate. The form of the certificate is in accordance to the international requirements.
The language of the certificate of origin of goods can be issued in English, German, French or Russian languages. The client who is applying for the certificate specifies the language preferred.
Each shipment needs to receive a separate certificate of origin. For example, if a lot of goods being forwarded by the European network for transportation are distributed amongst two or three trucks or vehicles, each shipment and each truck needs to have a separate certificate.
The advantages of the certificate of origin for the goods being transported throughout Europe
When certain goods are being imported from the EU into another country or when they are being imported from other countries into a member country of the EU, one of the most important documents needed for the international freight forwarding is the certificate of origin for the goods. The certificate contains the basic data regarding the exporter and the recipient, as well as gives the right for preferential treatment when being exported to other countries.
The data contained in the certificate of origin
The basic data contained in the certificate, apart from information regarding the exporter and the recipient in the other country, includes:
- The application for issuing the certificate itself, along with a declaration of accuracy of the data contained in it
- The country of origin of the goods
- Information regarding the type and number of products
- The quantity of goods being transported by the freight forwarders
- Information regarding the packing and labeling of the goods
- A full description of the goods which should help the customs officials to identify the goods when checking the shipments being transported by the international freight services
- The type of transport which will be used – whether it is Europe-wide groupage transport service or a complete load
- Data about the vehicle of the member company of the European logistics association which will be used for the transport of the goods
How the country of origin is marked by the manufacturers from the member countries of the EU
When a manufacturer of goods which are to be forwarder to European countries via the international freight forwarders association applies for the issuing of a certificate of origin, the origin indicated in the certificate is: European Union.
Receiving preferential treatment when forwarding goods which have certificates of origin
When using the logistics services of the European logistics companies preferences can be received if the manufacturer of the goods can provide documentation proving that the goods being imported in the European country are entirely manufactured or processed in that country.
The preferences which the manufacturers and the customers of the European logistics network receive are in accordance to the international preferential schemes. These programs are included in the CMR convention (Convention on the Contract for the International Carriage of Goods by Road).